Monday, June 9, 2008

Just a restful afternoon????



I thought that last Tuesday was going to be a "restful" afternoon at home. My friend Autumn had just taken me to drop my car off to get the air conditioning fixed and with no car, I thought we were in for the day. When she dropped us off, I closed the garage door, sat Derek on the table (strapped in his carrier) and headed outside to let the new puppy out of her kennel. I had to shut the back door so that neither one of the dogs would come inside. It took me a minute to get her out, refill the water bowl and head back inside. When I went to turn the knob on the backdoor (my only way in) I realized it would not turn. I knew that there was some mistake and I tried it again. Once I realized that it was not going to open, I began to panic. I ran to the side to check the garage door... it was down. I ran back to the back door and looked in the window to see Dylan playing with the knob. I started screaming and hitting the door. "Dylan turn the knob, Open the door for Mommy!!!" Well, my screams and crying made it worse for poor Dylan. He ran to his room, grabbed Happy and laid on the living room floor crying. At this point, Derek is SCREAMING on the kitchen table and is VERY ready to eat. I was still panicked and ran to the neighbors house (whom I have never met before) and in between tears asked to borrow the phone. I called Troy and he headed home to let me inside. He did not think that Dylan could lock the door but came home anyway to rescue us. So the next 20 or so minutes was filled with me looking in the window at Dylan crying and Derek screaming on the table. During all of this the new puppy is biting my feet. It was making me soooo mad. When I saw Troy drive down the street I ran to the garage door, that he had opened and got inside. The kids were fine... Derek had cried himself to sleep and Dylan was playing on the couch. It took a while for me to calm down but I was just so thankful that they were okay!!

3 comments:

♥Caroline♥ said...

I know that panic! I once locked my son in the car ...by accident! Thankfully he was just old to unstrap himself from the car seat and unlock the car...but it took alot of coaching. Glad everyone was alright...and everything ended up fine.

Amanda and Paul said...

At least you got to meet your neighbors :)

Amanda said...

What a rough way to meet your neighbors! Glad everything was ok! We've locked ourselves out of our house before on a braum's ice cream run. Justin was not amused.......